Thursday, December 1, 2011

Wind Power Facts and Myths


 I think the wind turbines are on the cover of Plan B for a reason!! I have to admit I am a Friend of Wind (1).  Two months ago, I was canvassing for the Ontario Citizens Coalition for Clean and Affordable Energy (OCCAE) to spread voter awareness on Ontario’s Green Energy Act (2).  One of the most common misconceptions was the effects of wind turbines.  I would have people tell me they disagree with wind turbines, how it was bad for humans and farm animals.   I told my supervisor and he would try to get us to prove the facts to these misinformed citizens.  
There are many myths about wind power, the big concern is effects on human health.   A wind turbine is powered by wind so there are no pollutants, emissions or wastes.  There are no direct effects on human health, the sound that is emitted is 50 DB, louder than a whisper but quieter than a home (3).  There is no evidence that the noise qualities generated by the operation of wind turbines, are causing disease or specific health conditions (4).
Wind is a natural and renewable source of power.  I hate the term “fossil fuels”, I find that the term implies that the fuels have been around forever and will continue to be there in the future.   I don’t agree that Wind is a quick fix to the energy problem at all.  Continuing with coal, oil, and fossil fuels is deteriorating.  Once one place is depleted of oil the oil cannot be replace.  Wind power will always be everywhere!  It is truly the way of the future, it is not a quick fix it is in it for the long haul.  I am not saying it is the only answer, but wind combined with solar and other renewable sources is a great start.  
Wind power and energy for that matter is definitely a sustainability issue, however if this energy is not politically survivable then it will not survive.  Energy, especially wind is a very political issue.  Politicians don’t like to get involved in energy issues.   The main part of my role as an energy educator was to promote renewable energy and the Feed In Tariff Programs. 
This was a very dangerous issue in the last election with the conservatives wanting to eliminate the Feed In Tariff and build more nuclear plants, NDP had it’s own stand on energy also.  The Liberals created the Green Energy Act, and promised to continue and improve it.  Voters were concerned that it could increase their taxes, but the Liberals were still voted in and I think that The Green Energy Act is one of the reasons they were re-elected.  It is important for politicians to keep energy in mind, especially during election time.  Energy needs to be politically survivable. 

4.     http://www.environmentaldefence.ca/sites/.../BlowingSmokeReport_FINAL2.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment