Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I haven't blogged in a while, seems I've been busy

I meant to do a blog about my canvassing experience, but never did.  It was not an easy task, going door to door trying to educate people on the clean energy act, and to consider energy when voting.  It seemed easy enough, hand out a pamphlet and ask 2 questions.  A lot of people were "not interested" when I wasn't selling or asking for money, only handing out a pamphlet and asking them if they knew about energy and would consider when voting.  I just found it frustrating that people were uninterested before they even let me talk, I did not go to homes with no soliciting or junk mail signs.   However, when I found someone who was interested and truely cared it was rather exciting and encouraging, it made me feel like people actually cared or wanted to know more.  You could tell when people were interested in the issue.  Those that weren't and were very negative, seemed to have misconceptions and even trying to clear them up, they were unwilling to listen or be informed of the facts.   There was also the misconception that I was working for a party, an I had to keep insisting I was not and for them to look up their party's green energy tactics.  On the last day we actually ran into the NDP candidate, they thought we were conservative, very awkward. 
It was a great experience over all talking to people, going door to door.  There were major hassles, being short flyers, and delivery postponing our work, but we made up for it in the end.  I also made a good friend, Kyla I hope we stay in touch.  
The only thing I would have to say is that the delivery method for the campaign, the flyers were not very informative to the average person, should have defined FEED IN TARRIF (FIT), and other things so voters actually understand.  We should have also been provided with more information to give to voters to clear up misconceptions,  I had so many people who had the facts wrong and had a hard time trying to explain it to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment