Friday, November 9, 2012

November Update

So it's November, that means this semester is flying by.    I am actually enjoying my classes at Western.  Who would have thought Geography would be something I like, if only I'd known that 4 years ago when I was doing my undergrad.   Biogeography is awesome I wish there was more classes in it, I think that is something I really want to do like understanding geographic ranges of animals linking biology and geography so perfect.  Geomorphology started off fun going in to the forest and having fieldwork labs, which were to use the information for a filed report, which we still don't have a guideline for.  The midterm in it was hard all written had to pick 5 out of 10 questions, hope I did well still don't know my mark in that class, the rest of our marks are from a report and 2 labs we have yet to hand in.  I feel like so uncertain about the class, I like the material its interesting but I don't like the uncertainty, and now we have a lot of math stuff to do like trig equations havent done that since highschool.   My other class is a research methods class, but more on social research, but I like it and am doing a big group project on smoking, I'll get to go do some interviews soon then analyze the data.   My online class is the last for a certificate in Environmental Conservation from Guelph that I started in 2011.  It is Natural Chemicals in the Environment, I like it so far I've learned about pheromones, plant and animal interactions, pesticides (synthetic and natural) and even had to debate that both are equally harmless, next is about herbal medicine.  Pretty soon it will be Christmas, but before that is finals AHHH!  Hope I can do well and get good marks and that they will be good enough to apply fro grad school.  I tried to email a couple profs but no responses, not sure if I should try to go to their offices or follow up, maybe meet with the Environmental Sustainability Program Coordinator again, see what she thinks.  
Oh I forgot most importantly, I am doing a contract for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, for some online mapping work.  I finally started in Mid October ( a bit later than I planned).  I like it its pretty interesting, I will do it till the end of December.  I am almost half way done, good experience for the resume and good spare money, since OSAP is being cheap.  I don't get paid till the end but its good money, and they gave me extra work and want me to do more in January.   I hope if I keep doing it maybe I can get a permanent job later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment