Sunday, January 22, 2012

New year, new job, new class, new oppourtunities for 2012

Well it is still January, so I think I can still do my new year blog.  It's not really resolutions though.  I started this year with no real expectations or resolutions or goals, just to continue what I was doing working for Mad Science, doing online classes and looking for environmental jobs.  

Before Christmas I  tried to talk to a professor about grad school, but it did not go as well as I had hoped, because of my marks but I was referred to someone else for a different program.  I met with her and she told me I had a good chance and should apply even though my marks are low, I have since improved and have a lot of potential.  So I am applying for September, for a Masters in Environmental Sustainability at UWO, it is a one year course based program with a co-op term.  I just have to write a letter of Academic Intent, I better get on that.  Fingers crossed.  I really hope I get in.  If not, there are other options I can pursue and keep on the job hunt.  

The next week, I went to an interview for a local mapping and imaging company, I wasn't really sure what they did.  The interview went amazing, and I showed him a project I did that was similar to the type of mapping I would be doing, and I think that is what sold him.   I was offered the job right after.  Bring your portfolio, always, you never know when you might need it.  I started this week.  What do I do?  I make maps.  Well sort of, I take scans of old "Fire Maps" which are like old hand drawn maps of properties and streets, and I "geo-reference" them by putting the street layers on to the maps.   I also learned this other program similar to google maps, well it uses Bing actually.   It may not be an environmental job, but I like GIS, and I did take it so it is nice to finally have a job I went to school for.

I also started a new online class called Management of the Biophysical Environment, as part of my certificate in Environmental Conservation from the University of Guelph.  I am excited for the topics that will be covered.   It will give me a different perspective, I hope.   Thats all for now.  I hope I can stay on top of things now that I have a full time job, we shall see how disciplined I am. 

I also wanna remain on the hunt for environmental jobs too but I have to find the time to apply.  So much to do so little time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment